Sempre is engaged in four main areas of activity:
- Since 1973 it has published the journal 'Psychology of Music' (ISSN 0305-7356), originally biannually. From 2012 six times a year through SAGE Publications. The journal aims to increase the scientific understanding of all psychological aspects of music and music education, including studies on listening, performing, creating, memorizing, analysing, learning and teaching, as well as applied social, developmental, attitudinal and therapeutic studies. From 2008, Psychology of Music has been accepted for coverage in the Social Science Citation Index (SSCI), the Journal Citation Reports - Social Sciences Edition, the Arts & Humanities Citation Index, CC/A&H (Current Contents/Arts & Humanities) and CC/S&BS (Current Contents/Social & Behavioural Sciences).
- Psychology of Music Impact Factor: 1.568
- Ranked: 17 out of 51 in Psychology, Educational; 26 out 72 in Psychology, Applied; and 48 out of 84 in Psychology, Experimental.
- Source: 2010 Journal Citation Reports® (Thomson Reuters, 2012)
- 2011 SCImago Journal Rank indicator = 0.047
- 2011 SCImago Journal Rank = 2 out of 72 (Music)
- In 2007, the Society acquired the internationally peer-reviewed journal Research Studies in Music Education. The journal promotes the dissemination and discussion of high quality research in music and music education and encourages the interrogation and development of a range of research methodologies and their application to diverse topics in music education theory and practice. From 2008, both Research Studies in Music Education and Psychology of Music have been published by SAGE, each with their own title and ISSN.
- The Society hosts two conferences a year, including a two-day international conference at Easter time on alternate years, which attracts a wide range of speakers and poster presenters.
- From 2004, Sempre has also granted a number of awards to members.